Home About Me My Class Websites Apps Image Map

Friday, July 25, 2014

Classroom Management





I have used ClassDojo in the classroom for the past 3 years.  Each year there have been updates that just make the website better and better.  My students love this for classroom management. I never did well with the clip charts for classroom management.  I know some teachers are awesome at it, but not me.  I would forget to keep track and record the data.  ClassDojo does that for you.  You can look back at individual students or the class for the day, week, month, or year.   The fact that I can reward positive behavior as well as mark off needs work behavior is a huge plus for me.  Even students who have a hard time with behavior DO have positive moments too.  On both sides I can customize the behavior.  The needs work side I made sure to put recess, hallway, lunch, bathroom, and classroom behaviors so that parents know where the actions occur.  It also allows me to see a pattern of days, time, and place that the needs work behaviors happen.  





ClassDojo provides this video to show to students when you introduce in the classroom.  This really gets the students excited.   The first several days we use this I watch closely for all students doing positive behaviors and reward them.  They love hearing the sound of the positive points. I usually carry my phone in the halls, to lunch, recess, special areas, and anywhere else with the students so I can use the app.  






Once I've introduced ClassDojo to the class the first day of school I will then send home the student account information and parent account information.  The students love to customize their little avatar monster.  They cannot wait to tell you the next day how they have changed theirs.  

An update that was added last year is you can now send class messages to parents.  I used to use a different app to do that.  I liked that app, but that was one more thing for the parents to do and have.  This is an all in one.   I can send out a message to parents to remind them to bring back a form, field trip reminder,  class activity, etc.  Parents also get a weekly report for their child's behavior in the classroom.  



If you are looking to improve your classroom management check out ClassDojo.  You can access your account on the computer, iPhone, and iPad.   This year teachers can now share students with other classes.   I haven't used that feature yet, but I am looking forward to it.  

School Time ~ Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment